All-time favorite ragtime pianist

Vote for your favorite ragtime composer, orchestra, performer etc.

Who is your all-time favorite ragtime performer?

1. Joshua Rifkin
No votes
2. William Bolcom
No votes
3. Mimi Blais
No votes
4. Max Morath
No votes
5. Morten Gunnar Larsen
80%
6. Stephanie Trick
No votes
7. Scott Kirby
20%
8. David Thomas Roberts
No votes
9. John Arpin
No votes
10. Tom Brier
No votes

Total votes : 5

All-time favorite ragtime pianist

Postby Mezjuev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Who is your all-time favorite ragtime pianist?

If your number one choice is not on the list, please post you opinion further down in this thread.

RAGards!

Oleg
Mezjuev

Re: All-time favorite ragtime pianist

Postby torsbyn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Unusable list.
Alla of these are competent piano players, a minority strictly ragtime piano players
torsbyn

Postby Mezjuev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:33 pm

torsbyn wrote:Unusable list.
Alla of these are competent piano players, a minority strictly ragtime piano players

The purpose of this poll is not texactly to decide "who is the best" pianist of all time so to speak, I just wanted to know who is people's favorite, that's all. The poll list allows only 10 choices, so many good pianists were not included in it. I can name many excellent performers besides these ten: for example James P. Johnson, Eubie Blake, Jelly Roll Morton, William Albrigt, John Gill, Trebor Tichenor, Glenn Jenks and many more. Not all of them are strictly ragtime pianists, but they are not far from ragtime anyway. Other pianists from the Golden Era of ragtime left very few live quality recordings, so it's impossible to judge them. That's why I haven't included names like Scott Joplin, James Scott and Louis Chauvin. We don't know very much about their playing styles, although I'm sure that several of them were very good pianists too.

Judging a pianist strictly by his technical skills is not always a guarantee that this pianist would be the most popular one. There are several ragtime piano players whose performances aren't flawless, but who have a great charisma and who are 100% genuine entertainers. I won't name any names here, but sure you understand what I mean by that.

What would your own suggestions be? Whom would you like to include (or exclude) in that list and why? Do you have any favorite piano pianist yourself?

Best RAGards!

Oleg
Mezjuev

Postby Rag » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm

I put my vote :)

Rag.
Rag

Return to Ragtime polls